Articles and Other Resources
How to write an Extended Essay in Psychology
How to Write Your IA
Review Of Part One
Biological August 26th-28th
Questions of the week:
1. Explain how one hormone influences human behavior
2. Discuss the use of brain imaging technologies to investigate the relationship between biological factors and behavior.
HW: For Wednesday the 28th- Explain one study related to localisation of function in the brain.
For Monday the September 2nd- Answers for the question of the week.
Cognitive September 2-4
Questions of the Week: Due 9/9/13
1. Outline one theory of how emotion may affect one cognitive process.
2. To what extent is one cognitive process reliable?
HW READ 5.2 for Friday
Questions of the Week: due 16/09/13
1. Describe one theory or study on the formation of stereotypes
2. Discuss factors influencing conformity
Question of the Week due 23/09/13
Paper three (handed out in class)
HW for 13/09/13
Look up information on PTSD
HW for 20/09/13
Read the two journals given in class
optional: read article:The Second Rape: Battling PTSD and Betrayal and write a reflection.
Questions of the week due 30/09/13
1. Explain how one study demonstrates localization of function in the brain.
2. To what extent does genetic inheritance influence behavior? Use relevant research studies in your response.
HW for 25/09/13
Read page 165-167
HW for 30/09/13
Read journal article on depression (handed out in class)
Questions of the week 07/10/13
1. Outline two principles that define cognitive level of analysis?
2. Disuss the use of one research method in cognitive level of analysis. (use relevant research in your answer)
Questions of the Week due 21/10/13
1. Explain why one particular research method has been used at the sociocultural level of analysis.
2. Explain the use of two compliance techniques.
HW for 9/10/13- Read the paper on Eating disorders in Asia
Questions of the week due 28/10/13
Answer two of the three questions below
1. "There are controversies surrounding the concepts of abnormality." With reference to this statement, discuss the concepts of normality and abnormality.
2. Describe the symptoms and prevalence of one psychological disorder. Discuss cultural and/or gender variations in the prevalence of one psychological disorder.
3. Discuss how biological or cognitive or socio-cultural factors influence psychological disorders.
Syllabus and IB Resources
- HW: Do a content analysis of a interview of your choice due 22/01/14.
- Question of the week:
Discuss how one biological factor may affect one cognitive process.
What is the question asking you to do?
- Identify one cognitive process - for example, memory or problem solving.
- Identify one biological factor - for example, the role of the hippocampus, stress hormones, or neurotransmission.
- Providing 2 - 3 studies to support your argument.
- Discuss means that you should offer a considered and balanced review that includes a range of arguments. In other words, you should look at more than one side of the issue.
Question of the Week: Contrast two theories of alturism in humans due 20/11/13
On 20/11/13 please bring you IA and checklist
HW for 12/2/14
Compare your last question of the week to the Schema question handout, use Markbank in Articles and other resourses.
HW for 19/02/14
Evaluate the role that one cultural dimension (e.g. individualism/ collectivism, power distance) may have on behaviour. (22 marks)
HW for 05/03/14 ( three short anwswer questions)
1. Describe one study using brain imaging technology in investigating the relationship between biological factors and behavior.
2. Describe one study of how social and/or cultural factors affect one cognitive process.
3. Explain one principle that defines the socio-cultural level of analysis.
HW for 12/03/14 one long answer question for Abnormal
Discus cultural and ethical considerations in diagnosis. HW for 14/03/14 Paper three handout given in class